1. NYC has such a rich musical history. It is the birthplace of hip hop, Latin freestyle, bebop, disco, punk rock, new wave and salsa music. It’s crazy. Just to name a few you have : DJ Kool Herc, DJ Afrika Bambaattaa, Grandmaster Flash, David Mancuso, Arthur Russel, Larry Levan, West End Records. Nu Groove Records, Todd Terry, François K, Studio 54, Talking Heads, Blondie, Masters at Work, Strictly Rhythm Records, The Notorious BIG, DFA, Wolf & Lamb, No regular play. As someone born & raised in NYC, what do you attribute that nearly unrivaled streak of innovations to ? And how has it impacted your approach to producing?
Well NYC is something that breathes life into you. It gives you courage, creativity, longevity, and motivation.
I feel I offer my own take on music and the world around me –
each artist is their own and being an individual is important in establishing your craft.
The city has impacted me a lot. I’ve been lucky enough to attend a David Mancuso party
as I’m a member of the loft. It was magical the night I went for sure.
2. You created and co-host an annual charity basketball game in Miami during WMC.
Lee Foss, MK, Ryan Crosson, the Martinez Brothers, Blond:ish, Kevin Saunderson,
Jimmy Maheras, Seth Troxlor and others have all joined in on the effort.
What has the reception been like so far? And what the future of the event is ?
It’s been fun! We host it each year and put money towards charity. It’s a long process sometimes m as we are so busy, and only 3 of us. We are actually almost about to launch the signed posters/ball auction on eBay this week for extra charity.
The guys and girls apart of it each year really give it their all. Red and Blue have split the first two years.
Next year will be crucial! We definitely plan to host in 2015. Hopefully improving each year.
3. You’re a veteran DJ at this point: What do you appreciate most about DJing in 2014 and what bugs you the most ?
I think the acceptance of deep house, house, techno, whatever you wanna call it.l in 2014 is awesome. People nowadays are really into it and really follow the artists. That enriches the whole scene. Obviously there are positives and negatives to anything and everything, so it goes both ways, but for the most part, I’m liking where electronic music is at these days.
4. Your latest record, ”Because of You” on BRIT-award winning UK label Black Butter Records
has a tougher sound than many of your previous productions.
The bassline is huge, evoking memories of vintage Dave Taylor (Switch / Solid Groove)
in a very precise and surgical dance floor destroying sound.
When it comes to new productions, do you generally have a label in mind
and if not how do you decide what might be the best best home for it ?
Yeah I normally just sit down and go with the flow. This record I’m really proud of as black butter is easily the biggest label I’ve released with so far. They have a great reach and I’m proud to be apart of their family.
My definition has always been that I like good music- whatever that is. No genres. It’s all good here!
5. Speaking of Labels.. You’ve had the good fortune of working with the wonderful chaps at Culprit,
Jamie Jones and Lee Foss at Hot Natured and one of my all time rave hero’s
Josh Wink at the mighty Ovum records.
What have you learned from those guy’s and what can we expect from MANIK for the rest of 2014 ?
All those guys are cool as hell! Especially Josh who’s been a mentor to me on some levels.
He’s just on top of it and such a good dude. For the rest of 2014 I’m releasing a few remixes for Shadow Child
and this new vocal house joint from DJ Anna, about 4 more EP’s including “House Cut 2” on Ovum
and my debut on Anjunadeep. The Adeep record has a very classic deep house almost progressive vibe
to it with some garage elements which I dig a lot. Hope others feel the same!
6.Have you ever had an experience that you would label as an extraterrestrial
(either from another planet or another plane of exsistence) contact ?
Not yet, but I am going to burning man this year. We’ll see if I do there 🙂
M A N I K
Brooklyn, NY // Music Producer-DJ-Remix Artist // Shadow Lanes // Culture Fires
European/World Bookings: Darren James-Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org (Elite)
US Bookings: Chad Cohen email@example.com (Spin Agency)
Mgmt/Remixes/Ventures: Dan Mullins firstname.lastname@example.org
Words – Tony Futique
Inspired in part by long-running experiments in :
chasing quantum particles, after hours jam sessions,
leftfield disco and innerstellar deep house.
From principles to paradoxes and back again.
n. pl. cos·mol·o·gies
1. The study of the physical universe considered
as a totality of phenomena in time and space.